Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 6
- 100g dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids is best)
- 100g butter
- 300g raw caster sugar
- 50g chopped dates
- 2 eggs
- 100g wholemeal self raising flour (for best texture)
- large sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped very finely
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚c. Line a square brownie tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter with chocolate. Beat eggs and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add choc/butter, mix well. Add flour, chopped dates and chopped rosemary – stir well. Try not to eat too much raw batter!
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 35 mins, then test with a skewer. If too gooey, keep in oven for a further 5-10 mins. (Unlike a cake, opening the oven door on a batch of brownies won’t do them much harm as they don’t rise much anyway.) The brownies are done when the skewer comes out with a bit of goo but isn’t totally coated in uncooked batter. Leave to cool in the pan, then turn out and cut into squares.