Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 8
- 375g small pearl tapioca
- 2 cups hot water
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 pandan leaves, tied as knot
- 1/2 tsp pandan essence
- Place the tapioca pearls into a mixing bowl then add hot water. Leave to soak for 20 minutes. You’d want the pearls to look slightly translucent. If it is not, then add around 1 more cup of hot water, give it a gentle stir and soak for further 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix all the rest of ingredients: coconut milk, raw sugar, pandan leaves and boil on a medium to low heat for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add pandan essence and desiccated coconut, stir and mix gently until all well combined.
- Mix in the soaked tapioca pearls slowly into the boiled pandan coconut mixture.
- Stir for a couple of minutes until all ingredients are well combined.
- If you have a pudding mould, pour your mixture into this. If not, then line a deep-ish bowl with cling wrap then pour mixture into it.
- Let it set overnight in the fridge.
- Place a plate on the bowl, flip it upside down then remove the cling wrap.
- Upon serving, if you have extra pandan leaves, cut in a diagonal (about 1/2 cm) to make the ‘bird’ shape then place onto the pudding for garnish.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.