A prolific Sydney-based food writer and muesli reviewer welcomed me into his home kitchen. That morning, I witnessed the making of his exceptional muesli that originated in 2009. Back as a university student, Nick found a way to save some money by making his own muesli as ingredients were much cheaper when bought in bulk. He’d share them with family and friends, and before long people would come knocking on his door bringing their own Tupperware to buy his home made muesli. So off he went to Reverse Garbage in Marrickville and got himself four old pharmaceutical 60L buckets to mix and store his muesli in. He assured me he gave them a good wash!
A good wholesome muesli to Nick is one that’s full of textures. The whole morning Nick spent roasting and chopping the various nuts into equal size (I especially admired his patience in peeling and halving the roasted hazelnuts), dicing the various dried fruits and toasting the grains. Everything went into the big tub and mixed by hands. It was quite mesmerising to watch. I now wish I had a go at mixing it.
When he’s not writing about food or hand mixing muesli at home, Nick puts his all into his latest project Have You Eaten – an interactive map of Sydney food, where you can search for eateries by your choice of cuisine.
All Day Home Made Muesli
Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 1
- 1 cup of your home made muesli
- 1/2 grated Apple
- 1 tbs of yoghurt
- 1-2 tbs of milk to lubricate
- 1 tbs of tahini
- 1 peach cut into cubes
- a small sprig of thyme
- a dash of ground cardamom
- a dash of ground ginger
- Example of home made muesli ingredients: rolled oats, buckwheat, millet, puffed corn, puffed rice, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, various nuts, various dried fruits, coconut flakes, cocoa nibs. The list goes on and the possibility is endless. You just need to put aside a bit of time in advance to make a big enough batch and you’ll be rewarded with wholesome muesli supply in your pantry for a while – or to share with family/friends. Even better if you could shop at the whole food refill store and bring your own containers. Best thing about making your own muesli mix is that you get to put in more of the ingredients you love!
- Enjoy your home made muesli with your preferred choice of milk, yoghurt, tahini and fresh fruits. Herbs such as thyme or mint really takes it to another level of yum. Best served cold.