Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 4
- 1 Burdock root or Jerusalem Artichoke coarsely grated or julienned
- 1 big carrot coarsely grated or julienned
- 6 pieces of ham julienned
- 4 tsp roasted sesame seed
- 2 tbs Japanese mayonaise
- 2 tbs sesame seed paste (Tahini)
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 3 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbs sugar
- To prepare the burdock root (or Jerusalem Artichoke), pill the outer skin and grate into coarse strips or julienne then soak in water for about half an hour with a bit of vinegar to stop discolouring and enhance crunchiness after parboiling.
- Rinse the soaked burdock root and parboil with the carrot for about 5 mins then drain and toss well with julienned ham.
- For the dressing, whisk together the mayonaise, tahini, white vinegar, light soy sauce and sugar.
- Mix well with the salad and garnish with roasted sesame seed.