Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 9
- 150 ml melted (room temperature) coconut oil
- 50g good-quality cocoa powder (sifted)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tsp best vanilla extract
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ cup real organic maple syrup (not sugar syrup)
- 3 large organic free range eggs
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C. Grease a 22cm springform tin with a little coconut oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Add sifted cocoa and boiling water into a small bowl and combine well.
- In a separate medium sized bowl add ground almonds, desiccated coconut, salt and coconut sugar and whisk to combine evenly.
- In a large bowl add eggs, maple, vanilla and melted (and cooled) coconut oil and whisk for a couple of minutes or until mixture thickens up slightly.
- Add the cooled liquid cocoa to the egg mix and using a large spoon gently combine. Add the almond mixture at this point and again carefully combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for approx 45 mins or until the centre is firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serving suggestions: Sift a little extra cocoa and desiccated coconut over the top and serve with a berry coulis (cooked down blueberry’s with a tablespoon of coconut sugar – It’s delicious!)