Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 6
- 500 gr French lentils – soak overnight or substitute with 2 tins of cooked lentils
- 2 onions finely diced
- 2 apples peeled and diced
- 4 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 250 gr diced smoked bacon
- 4-5 tomatoes finely diced or substitute with 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2-4 tbs of apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 L vegetable stock
- a knob of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the soaked lentil for about 20 mins on medium heat and make sure it still keeps its shape.
- On a separate pot, sauté the onion until golden then add the diced apple, bacon, celery, carrot and parsley. Mix and stir well.
- Add the vinegar, diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 15 mins on medium heat then add in the cooked lentils and knob of butter.
- Serve with cooked Spätzle and Frankfurt garnish with more parsley.