Prep time: | Cook time: | Serves 10
- 40g peeled garlic
- 20g ginger
- 2 lemongrass stems, whites only and bruised
- 10g red chillis, seeded
- 5 dried chillis, soaked in hot water
- 120g shallots
- 30g dried shrimps, soaked in hot water
- 150g rice bran oil
- Sauce ingredients
- 400g fresh cherry tomatoes
- 400g pitted and sliced cherries
- 600g tomato and cherry puree
- Place all ingredients for the paste except 100g of oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy based pan and add the paste. Cook until the oil separates from the paste and the colour becomes a darker red. At this point, add the fresh tomatoes and cherries.
- Cook until the tomatoes have collapsed, about 20 minutes.
- Now add the puree and cook out the sambal until dry. This can take up to 90 minutes depending on the water.
- Check for seasoning and add paste in sterilized jars.